Years 7 to 12
The Secondary Years at Alphington Grammar School enhances the foundation skills learned in the Primary Years, and further develops the academic thinking and life skills necessary for our students to graduate as well rounded, global citizens.
Whether a student has progressed from within Alphington Grammar School, or is a new arrival, our fundamental goal is for their journey through our Secondary School to be a happy one, where they have many opportunities to achieve personal success.
Underpinning all our programs are the Habits of Mind that we first introduce in the Primary Years and build on into the secondary journey. We believe that these 16 problem solving, life related skills are essential for our students to effectively manage living and working in the world they will encounter at the end of their journey here.
The habits of mind provide each student with the skills to work through real life situations that equip them to respond using awareness, through real life situations and intentional strategy. The intended outcome is to provide our students with the ability to become well-rounded, socially responsible adults.
16 Habits of Mind
- Managing Impulsivity
- Listening with Understanding and Empathy
- Thinking Flexibly
- Thinking about Thinking (Metacognition)
- Striving for Accuracy
- Questioning and Posing Problems
- Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations
- Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision
- Gathering Data through All Senses
- Creating, Imagining, Innovating
- Responding with Wonderment and Awe
- Taking Responsible Risks
- Finding Humour
- Thinking Interdependently
- Remaining Open to Continuous Learning